Welcome to another edition of #ThisWeekInScala!
A nice way to check the trending Scala projects is to check github!
In case you missed Play Day you can watch all the talks here!
Lets catch-up on the latest Scala happenings...
- Akka Streams v0.3 is out, it is still an early development preview
- Deadbolt-scala 2.3.0-RC1 and Deadbolt-java 2.3.0-RC1 for Play 2.3 are out!
- ScalaTest/Scalactic 2.2.0 is out, comes with new matchers, new assertions, better assertion error messages and many enhancements (Scalactic is the new name for ScalaUtils)
- Parboiled2 2.0.0-RC2 was released, it fixes three problems that were discovered in RC1 and adds some more (minor) helper functionality
- Pamflet 0.6.0 was released, it is a publishing application for short texts, particularly user documentation of open-source software
- Play-yeoman 0.7.0 is out, it is a big upgrade, build on sbt-web and also supporting Play 2.3.0
- Scalikejdbc 2.0.1 was released
- Sbt-buildinfo 0.3.2 is out, it is a plug-in for sbt that generates Scala source from your build definitions
- Skinny Framework 1.0.17 is out with mailer's envelope-from support and ScalikeJDBC 1.8.0
- Akka-persistence-cassandra 0.3.1 was released (bugfix)
- Initial release of Scalariform IntelliJ IDEA plugin, it adds a menu item that allows you to format the current file using Scalariform
- Reactive Design Patterns MEAP Update with Chapter 3, "The Philosophy in a Nutshell"
- Handling services that require explicit shutdown in Scala, a blog post by Maciej Biłas
- Scala on Android and stuff: lessons learned, a blog post by Nicolas Fränkel
Blogs & Tutorials
- Gabbler, a Reactive Chat App – part 1, a blog post by Heiko Seeberger
- Akka Clustering and Remoting: The Experiment, a blog post by our own Carl Pulley
- What kind of things are easy in Haskell and hard in Scala, and vice-versa? a blog post by Tony Morris
- Type-Level Programming: The Subspace of Scala, a blog post and video by Joe Barnes
- Anorm - What’s new (Play 2.3)
- Scala Trivial Refactoring Examples
- Scala Maps and Sorting, a blog post by Peter Pilgrim
- Demonstrating Case Classes in Scala a blog post with video by Alejandro Lujan
- Patrik Nordwall published a first early version of Akka Data Replication
- Case study: Yap.TV Goes Reactive
- Scala IDE support for simultaneous 2.11 and 2.10 projects
- Apple released a new programming languge last week and some devs compare it with Scala:
- Swift is a lot like Scala, a point-by-point comparison
- Hello Swift, Meet Scala, a blog post by Adam Denenberg
- Login/Password authentication in Secure Social, a blog post by Alberto Souza
- A new Activator template by Cake's developers Michal Janousek and Martin Zapletal: HTML 5 Device Orientation with play, ember and websockets