Welcome to another edition of #ThisWeekInScala!
An exciting week since we have new releases for Scala, Play and Akka!
Since I will be away next week, my colleague Mario Arias (@dh44t) will be producing the next roundup which will be released on a Tuesday because of Monday's holiday.
Lets catch-up on the latest Scala happenings...
- Scala 2.11.0 RC4 was released, since RC3, the team has fixed two blocker bugs, and admitted some final polishing for macros and quasiquotes
- Specs2-2.3.10 for Scala 2.11.0-RC4 was released
- Play 2.3-M1 was released! Pretty exciting stuff coming to Play which you can go on and read about! Also a good read is James Roper's answer as well for clarification
- Akka 2.3.2 was released! This is the second maintenance release of the 2.3 branch. It contains fixes for several issues
- Sbt 0.13.5-M3 was released - a technology preview of what's to come to sbt 1.0 with many enhancements that the team has been working on like auto plugins and "sbt as a server"
- Lift 2.6-M3 was released!
- Mod-lang-scala 1.0.0 with complete Vert.x API was released!
- Accord 0.3.1 maintenance release is out
- Skinny Framework 1.0.6-1 is out with lots of improvements
- Reactive design patterns is a new book by Roland Kuhn and Jamie Allen. The first chapter is available for free!
Blogs & Tutorials
- Our own Matt Squire wrote a blogpost about: Reflections on Akka
- Scalar Conference 2014, a Scala conference in central Europe
- From 1000 to 10k users per server - concurrency rediscovered with Akka, a presentation from Lambda Days by Piotr Gabryanczyk
- The other 99%: dropping scalaz as a dependency, a blogpost by Gideon De Kok
- Transforming existing 'monolithic' Scala application into distributed micro-services application. How to do it with minimal impact on existing code. Two blogposts by Eugene Zhulenev: Seamless migration from monolithic application to Finagle services part 1, part 2