Welcome to another edition of #ThisWeekInScala!
A very exciting week since it's the Scala Days 2014 one! Also today BoldRadius, Cake Solutions and Chariot Solutions announced the launch of the Reactive Alliance!
Starting with a video where Martin Odersky is being interviewed
Ensime is the ENhanced Scala Interaction Mode for Emacs, are you interested to make it better ? Check this out!
Lets catch-up on the latest Scala happenings...
- Scala and Play 2.0 Intellij Plugins Update 0.38.437 is out with many enhancements like:
- Better import management
- Faster and more user-friendly Scala worksheets
- Extract Trait refactoring
- Extract Method refactoring improved and
- More inspections for collections
- Scala.js 0.5.0 was announced! It is the final release of Scala.js 0.5.0. This version is a major milestone towards the maturity of Scala.js, probably the most important release since its very first prototype
- Skinny Framework 1.1.0 is out, Skinny 1.1 APIs are basically compatible with Skinny 1.0 though the release includes basic dependencies' major upgrades. All the features should be kept since 1.0.18
- A new Scaldi website with plenty of documentation and new shiny design was announced
- Parboiled 2.0.0 final is out, it improves upon parboiled 1.x in many ways, most importantly parsing performance and DSL flexibility
- Scala by the Bay, during August 8th and 9th 2014, early bird tickets are available until July 2nd
- How to wield Scala in the trenches, a presentation by Josh Suereth at Devoxx 2013
- A playful angle to web development a blog post by Henri Koskenranta
- ScalaDC (Scala + Lift + Angular) is Magic, a presentation by Doug Roper
Blogs & Tutorials
- Reactive Queue with Akka Reactive Streams, a very interesting blog post by Adam Warski
- Groups, Semi-Groups and Monoids in Scalding, a post by Kaushik Rangadurai
- Play Framework, Server Sent Events and Internet Explorer, a blog post by Matthias Nehlsen
- Reactive DDD with Akka - lesson 3 (Projections), a blog post by Paweł Kaczor
- Cluster-wide Java/Scala application deployments with Docker, Chef and Amazon OpsWorks, another blog post by Adam Warski
- Haskell for Scala Developers, a blog post by Chris Neveu
- Partitioning by constructor, a blog post by Travis Brown
- Akka Clustering and Remoting: Application Scaling, a new blog post by our own Carl Pulley
- A Year of Functional Programming, a blog post by David Barri