Tim Lewis blogs about DevOps benefits of Infrastructure of Code.
Alex Casalboni compares Google Cloud Functions and AWS Lambda features.
Amir Rouzrokh announces Java 8 support for Google App Engine standard.
Cluster Management and Orchestration
Fernando Sanchez blogged about Monitoring DC/OS Nodes and Containers With cAdvisor, InfluxDB, and Grafana.
Rob Nelson wrote a detailed guide on how to manage ssh security with Puppet.
Containerization and Virtualization
Gianluca Borello does some advanced kernel troubleshooting to figure out the reasons behind the decreasing performance of a containerized application. Brien Posey blogged about Container security tools you need to know.
Monitoring and Logging
Daniel Berman wrote an informative blog post regarding Docker Swarm logging.
Adrian Hilton blogs about how SRE teams can assess which projects need their support and what needs to be done for SREs to onboard a project with confidence.
Paddy Foran announces HashiBot, a GitHub bot that helps scale management of GitHub repositories.
Git LFS 2.2.0 | includes bug fixes, minor features, and a brand new migrate command.
Kubernetes 1.7 | Summary of release notes:
- Security enhancements in this release include
- Encrypted secrets.
- Network policy for pod-to-pod communication.
- Node authorizer to limit kubelet access and client / server TLS certificate rotation.
- Automated updates to StatefulSets and enhances updates for DaemonSets.
Alpha support for local storage and a burst mode for scaling StatefulSets faster.
- API aggregation in this release allows user-provided apiservers to be served along with the rest of the Kubernetes API at runtime.
Support for extensible admission controllers, pluggable cloud providers, and container runtime interface (CRI) enhancements.
Docker CE 17.06 | Summary of release notes:
- Multi-stage builds
- Support metrics API
- Support for log driver plugins.
- Docker service logs has moved out of the Edge release and into Stable.
- Node-local network support for services.
- Swarm mode
- Configuration objects
- Certification rotation support
- Swarm mode Events
- Dedicated Datapath
- Desktop editions:
- GUI Option To Reset Docker Data Without Losing All Settings
- Add An Experimental DNS Name For The Host
- Login Certificates For Authenticating Registry Access
- Cloud Editions:
- Cloudstore volume plugin is available both on Docker for AWS and Docker for Azure.
- Support persistent volume
- Support EBS volumes across Availability zones.
--api-enable-cors in favor of
- No longer support for Ubuntu 12.04
Puppet 5 platform | Summary of release notes:
- Standardize the version numbering of all the major Puppet components (Puppet Agent, PuppetDB, Puppet Server) to 5, as a first step towards delivering these components as a unified platform.
- Include Hiera 5 with eyaml as a built-in capability.
- Provide clean UTF-8 support.
- Move network communications to fast, interoperable JSON.
Jenkins World 2017 | August 28-31 | San Francisco, CA
Cake Solutions are hiring DevOps Engineers!
That is all for this edition of #ThisWeekInDevOps. If you want to get in touch with us regarding any DevOps news or content here's our details:
Also if you are interested in the latest Scala news you can check Petr's blog post: This week in #Scala 03/07/2017.
DevOps as a Service
Cake's DevOps as a Service enables agile development teams to focus on their core strengths by delivering an ‘as a service’ environment, tailored for your organisation’s needs.
We design and execute DevOps management strategies which mitigate the associated risks, pitfalls and costs of DevOps, while driving delivery of a return on investment and desired business results.
Working at board level with high-growth, market leading organisations, we have a thoughtful, proactive, and pragmatic approach. We share innovation, know-how and work collaboratively to craft bespoke DevOps solutions.
Cake’s DevOps as a Service comprises strategic leadership, planning and process consulting, combined with the development of DevOps toolchain for the application of life-cycle management, and supporting infrastructure automation and management.
How can we help you?
Find out more