Welcome to another edition of #ThisWeekInScala!
This week my colleague Marios Papasofokli is on holidays, so I'm in charge of this edition.
This week is particularly exciting with a new, long awaited, Scala version and the first public draft of the Reactive Streams initiative
- First of all, Scala 2.11 was released. This inversion include several improvements in key areas like compiler performance, modularity and general stability towards next releases
- Typesafe announce Akka Stream an implementation of Reactive Streams
- Twitter's Finatra 1.5.3 was released
- Skinny framework 1.0.8 was released. This version include support for Scala.js source maps
- scalaz-stream 0.4.1 was released
- sqltyped 0.4.0 was released. This version includes a switch to Shapeless 2.0 records
- sbt-one-log 0.1.1 was released
Netflix's RxJava: Reactive Extensions in Scala: Speaking about Reactive Streams... this presentation on The San Francisco Scala user group will let you understand the general principles behind RxJava (RxJava will implement Reactive Streams in the near future)
Blogs & Tutorials
Not so much activity this week (probably everyone is really excited about the new Scala release) but a couple of videos
- Jason Zaugg will introduce us to Scala 2.11 in this webinar
- Michael Jensen discuss Finagle at Sharetrhough in this presentation