Welcome to another edition of #ThisWeekInScala!
Did you know that Roger Alsing began a .NET port of Akka? Interesting, but I know you’re here for Scala goodness. I shall not disappoint…
- scalajs 0.2 is out
- Skinny Framework 0.9.25-1 is available with standalone JAR packaging, SkinnyFilter, SkinnyTable and more
- sbt-quickfix 0.4.1 is out
- Laika 0.5.0 was released
- jackson-module-scala 2.3.1 is available
- Konrad Malawski released a fully async hbase implementation for akka persistence
- Jonas Bonér spotted Omnibus which is a HTTP-friendly reactive message bus based on Akka
- Matthieu Clochard created a Play sample app demonstrating SecureSocial and the ReactiveCouchbase driver
- Dario R. started working on an Akka-based AMQP client and welcomes feedback, requirements and contributions!
This week I offer you something I missed just before Christmas last year:
- Types of Types in Scala by Konrad Malawski
- an enumeration of the different types in Scala!
I am also overdue a mention of the Vienna Scala User Group’s website launched just before Christmas and is open-source. The app has some cool features that make it interesting to other Scala User Groups:
- most of the information presented (events, photos, …) is extracted from the meetup.com API
- Talks section based on Markdown files which we supplement with photos extracted from the meetup.com API: http://www.scala-vienna.org/talks
- aBlogs section where we aggregate blog posts for members of our user group via their RSS feeds: http://www.scala-vienna.org/blogs
Blogs & Tutorials
- Derek Wyatt wrote about the Magnet Pattern and how that solved his method overloading problem in his post “Scala Method Overloading and Default Argument Values“
- Vitor Capela shared his final thoughts on Coursera’s “Principles of Reactive Programming
- Javin Paul provided a timely reminder of five books/resources you can freely use for learning Scala
- Loïc Descotte showed How to monitor a Play Framework app in production
- I worked on a monitor agent for Play apps last week which uses aspectj load-time weaving, stay tuned for a blog post soon!
- David Pollak shared his Priorities for Scala in 2014 - what ideas do you have?
- Jamie R. Lawson showed us how to configure SBT to Generate a Scaladoc Root Page
- A developer at Workday wrote a post on Scala For Beginners
- Joe Barnes told a story: “I once built a crappy actor library on J2EE“
- Viktor Farcic wrote a tutorial through katas: Berlin Clock
- James Hughes showed us how to get Convenient Colouring of Console Output in Scala
- rijware wrote a tutorial: Using Play Framework’s Action Composition feature to enforce HTTPS access