Welcome to another edition of #ThisWeekInScala.
After a bit of travel I'm back in the office proper and have a juicy roundup for you. Before that though, I thought I should remind you that the Principles of Reactive Programming online course starts next week. Don't forget to sign up!
- Akka 2.2.3 was released
- ScalaFX v1 M6 and ScalaFX v8 M2 are available
- sbt-robovm - a plugin for developing iOS apps in Scala with robovm was released
- Twitter OSS released storehaus v0.7.0
- Static site generator - Soapbox 0.4 - is out
- less-sbt 0.2.2 was released
- lesst 0.1.2 is available
This week I can't decide between two older pieces of content, so I'll offer you both!
- Video: Intro to Functional Programming in Scala by Joe Barnes
- JVMLS 2013: Scala War Stories by Paul Phillips
Blogs & Tutorials
- Joe Barnes continued the Java Vs Scala discussions from his company on his blog… Or Java if you’re not into the whole brevity thing
- Evan Chan posted his slides about putting Akka in production at Ooyala
- Some Scala Idioms were shared by Khan Delwalrishi of Knoldusx
- Josh Suereth shared his thoughts about the recent v0.13 release of sbt
- Typesafe told us How Conspire Built Its Backend on Akka and Scala
- Stephen Judkins shared the slides from his recent presentation on PureImage: Raster image processing for Scala
- Ryan Tanner shared how Akka is used at Conspire in great detail:
- Jamie Allen presented "Reactive Programming with Scala and Play" at Valtech
- Jacek Laskowski showed us how to have a single test spec for many different implementations (in git)
- Laurita Applez of Gilt Tech provided a roundup of the Talks From Last Weekend’s Pacific Northwest Scala Conference
- Meanwhile, Confreaks posted a YouTube video of the keynote by Paul Phillips: We're Doing It All Wrong (comes with health warnings!)
- Chris Hodapp wrote a guest post for Safari Books: Hello SBT: An Easy Start with the Simple Build Tool
- Mathias Doenitz posted excellent slides from his Spray talk at the Scala.io conference held in Paris: Spray: Rest on Akka
- Sean Glover shared the journey taken by the tech team at Empathica from.NET to Scala
- Vaughn Vernon blogged: "Using Scala and Akka with Domain-Driven Design" and subsequently followed up with "DDD with Scala and Akka Revisited"
- David Barri discussed Methods vs Functions in Scala
- Manuel Bernhardt wrote the last part of his reactive golf series: Reactive Golf or Iteratees and all that stuff in practice, part 3
- Yuriy Polyulya shared his slides on Scala types and polymorphism: How to be polymorphic in Scala
- Michael Engelhardt blogged: Gradle rocking scala specs2 tests
- Stefan Bleibinhaus introduced gremlin-scala in his post: Scala and Graph Databases with Gremlin-Scala