Welcome to another edition of #ThisWeekInScala.
My good friend Michael Pollmeier who likes Linux to the point that he'll happily replace Mac OS on his MacBook in favour of a distro such as Xubuntu decided that his trusty penguin friend should sport Scala and Akka fan gear:
Meanwhile, my favourite tweet this week wins for being controversial. I'm not saying I subscribe to the same viewpoint!
@RamCSingh: If we do functional programming, is everyone else dysfunctional programming? #erlang #haskell #clojure #OCaml #scala et al #lambdajam-ming
- Typesafe Activator v0.2.6 is available
- Typesafe appreciate your help in building a good library of Activator templates. Cake's own @honzam399 has already got in on the act ;)
- The Scala language processing library Kiama has a new version: 1.5.1 released
- sbt 0.13.0-RC1 is out and about
- Dino Fancellu announced XQS - a Scala library for XQuery
- @jboner: RT @altamborrino: Try out my latest hack: P2P-assisted Web music streaming built with #WebRTC, #AngularJS and #PlayFramework #Scala http://
- Alexandre Tamborrino shared his hack called WebRTC which streams music atop of
- Jamie Allen of Typesafe announced his Effective Akka book has gone to production so keep your eyes out!
This week I offer you a video of a presentation given by Venkat Subramaniam
Blogs & Tutorials
- Typesafe blogged about Scala adoption in Argentina and Uruguay
- The Akka team blog was updated with some more 2.2 Spotlight posts:
- InfoQ posted a presentation by Paul Snively: E Pluribus Unum: A Survey of Multi-paradigm Programming
- Tim Spann shared some useful Play 2.1 Framework links
- Peter Hausel shared his experience using Reactor with Scala
- Vaughn Vernon began a series of posts on the ActorModel using Scala and Akka to implement EAI Patterns:
- The fallout from Rod Johnson's talk continued as Petri Kainulainen shared his opinion that the Scala community needs to grow up
- Iain Hull blogged A Simple REST DSL Part 1 and A Simple REST DSL Part 2
- Robert Ladstaetter got in touch to share his sudoku solver using OpenCV and Scala together with JavaFX
- A dive into lambda calculus in Scala by ZeroTurnaround's Erkki Lindpere
- Heiko Seeberger blogged about Gabbler, a reactive chat app he built with Scala, Akka, Spray and AngularJS
- Pascal Voitot blogged: Introducing Play2.1 Json Interpolation & Pattern Matching (based on JsZipper)
- Breno G. de Oliveira addressed Perl hackers learning Scala: Scala for Perl 5 Programmers
- Tom Switzer discussed generic numeric programming - a term invented by himself - An Intro to Generic Numeric Programming with Spire
- Bryan Gilbert showed us how use Action Composition for Easy Authentication and Authorization in the Play framework
That's all folks. Have a great week. Remember you can get in touch with me directly via email or message me on twitter (@ChrisCundill) with any Scala news, events or content. Tip: Tweet about your content using hashtag #Scala.