Welcome to another edition of #ThisWeekInScala. I’ve not got any preamble for you this time so let’s dive right in!
- Scala 2.10.1-RC3 is now available!
- Jamie Allen started a project to make Akka actors available as MBeans via JMX
- Stephane Godbillon pushed 0.9-SNAPSHOT artifacts of ReactiveMongo, including the new BSON library and the Collection API refactoring
- There is also a basic example showing how to use the new BSON library
- A release for another Mongo library: Casbah 2.5.1 – SNAPSHOT
- Version 0.2 of datomisca (a Scala API for datomic) is out, bringing huge improvements and a “beautified”API
- A new chapter on Message Channels has been added the Akka in Action MEAP book
- Christoph Henkelmann made Actuarius available for Scala 2.10 on Maven Central
- Phil Davis announced a pretty little website built with Scala and Lift: Camera Showdown
This week I offer you a presentation by Nilanjan Raychaudhuri at the 1DevDay conference on 8th February 2013:
Blogs & Tutorials
- Plenty of videos from NEScala were posted! Here’s just two to whet your appetite:
- The slides from the recent Scala Japan conference are slowly being added to the conference website. Not sure if there’ll be videos… here’s hoping!
- Debasish Ghosh blogged: An exercise in Refactoring – Playing around with Monoids and Endomorphisms
- Devon Bryant got in touch to share his post on Numerical Computing With Scala
- Alvin Alexander wrote a couple of useful articles for the beginner:
- Remo Laubacher shared his First Impression about the Play Framework
- Ayush Mishra showed us how to Integrate PayPal in LiftWeb application using Scala
- Raymond Tay blogged: Doing away with self-types
- Andrew C. Oliver wrote an intriuging article on an epic codefest where developers in his company were challenged learn 7 programming languages in 7 days. Scala and Play were covered on day 6.
- Aaron of StackMob introduced Newman, a new http client for Scala
- A Scala Either Example was provided by Gregg Carrier: Responding to Failures
- Tony Morris decided to tackle Functors and “things”
- Juanma of Habla Computing blogged: Updating immutable objects in generic contexts
- Tomasz Nurkiewicz wrote about Futures in Akka with Scala
- Brian Plawler add a new recipe to his Mongo+Casbah Cookbook: Adding Simple Maps to Documents
- Adam Warski got in touch to share an update on Bootstrap: Angular directives & new files layout, migrating to Rogue
- Gideon de Kok wrote about the anatomy of Riaku (or in other words; how Akka was used to create a functional Riak client)
- Pascal Voitot added a new “pastry” to his Datomisca delicatessen -
Emulsion of Scala Type-safety in Datomic Schema – there’s Koalas involved :0
- Cake’s very own @honzam399 introduced his Scala wrapper for Jasper reports
That’s all folks. Have a great week. Remember you can get in touch with me directly via email or message me on twitter (@ChrisCundill) with any Scala news, events or content.