Welcome to another edition of #ThisWeekInScala.
What’s Your Next JVM Language? That’s the question InfoQ have asked their readers. Scala is comfortably on top. Then there’s the list of startups using Scala on Quora; astonishing! Next Martin Odersky gets an excellent writeup on Gigoam. If that’s not enough, Typesafe then start their so-called “Thought Leadership” video series with a video filmed at Intel, who have embraced Scala. Yet another week of great publicity for a great language.
Right, onto your reading list…
- Last week Scala 2.10-RC3 was staged , this week it was released!
- Scala IDE 2.1 M2 republished for 2.10.0-RC3
- Akka 2.1.0-RC3 has been released
- eventsourced-0.5-SNAPSHOT is now based on #Akka 2.1.0-RC3 and #Scala 2.10.0-RC3
- spray 1.0-M6 and 1.1-M6 released
- Activate – a framework for persisting objects via a STM layer over a DB now has a v1.1 release
- parboiled 1.1.4 - a library for parsing of arbitrary input text based on parsing expression grammars
- Squeryl 0.9.5-5 is out, supporting Scala 2.10-RC3
- Gradle 1.3 has now made Scala is a first class citizen with fast incremental compilation
- @alvinalexander revealed that he’s writing an O’Reilly title: “Scala Cookbook”
- The Guardian newspaper launched their new Scala, Play mobile site and have made the code available! A real-world sample app!
- 03/12/2012 - Scala & LiftWeb for Web Development, Skills Matter, London, UK
- 04/12/2012 - Scaladores (Scala group), São Paulo, Brazil
- 13/12/2012 - Learning Functional Programming without Growing a Neckbeard – San Francisco, CA, USA
Blogs & Tutorials
- The Akka team added another post to their 2.1 Spotlight series to let us know about their documentation improvements
- Martin Gontovnikas shared his experiences slicing and dicing with the cake pattern to make clean use of slick within a play app
- Seth Tisue’s talk on Lenses at the BASE meetup was published
- Vikas Hazrati helps us understand traits as stackable modifications
- Mayank Bairagi taught us how to access session data in Actors
- Jamie Allen had an article about the actor “Extra” pattern using Akka published is in this month’s issue of JAX Magazine
- Kris Nuttycombe addressed a question that’s been coming up every few monthson the Scala mailing list
- Vivian Pennel shared his entry for the Typesafe developer contest: a Scala, Akka and Play app, which you can see live and even clone the source!
- Diego Medina explained his dev environment when working with Lift
- Cake’s own @honzam399 wrote about Using Spray JSON to marshal tree ADT-like structures
And finally, at Cake we’re still looking for a smart kid to join us on some Scala projects. Could it be you?
That’s all folks. Have a great week and remember you can get in touch with me directly via email or message me on twitter (@ChrisCundill) with any Scala news, events or content.