Welcome to another week in #Scala. To make up for last week’s no-show, we have a deluxe, super, bumper issue this week!
Last but not least (check the comments!), Scala 2.10.0 Milestone 5 has also been released!
AndroidProguardScala is an Eclipse builder for Android projects using Scala.
Jan has setup a github repository for hakkers to share their Akka patterns
Scala IDE for Eclipse 2.0.2 has been released!
Check out macro-powered loop optimizations (Range for comprehensions) in optimized-loops-macros
Blogs and Tutorials
- Building Scalable, Highly Concurrent & Fault Tolerant Systems – Lessons Learned by Jonas Bonér (@jboner). This is fantastic. Read it.
- Java 8 vs Scala: a Feature Comparison by Urs Peter and Sander van den Berg
- For an improved understanding of how Play2 works, check out Bits’bout Play2 Architecture by Sadek Drobi (@sadache).
- I read A Small Example of Kleisli Arrows by Channing Walton (@channingwalton), and was blown away by what a actually Kleisli Arrow is. It’s posts like this that make scalaz and functional programming more accessible.
- Lance Walton on Scala in the Enterprise
- JSON serialization with reflection in Scala! Part 1 by Daniel Sobral(@dcsobral)
- For a those that are a a little newer to the language, check out Traits in Scala and eventually some more Advanced Concepts by Mohamed Sanaulla (@sanaulla)
- Dick Wall (@dickwall) on Scala, DI with SubCut, Scala Compiler Plugins, Java’s Future
- Stefan Zier (@stefanzier) details a neat tricks and tips in Pragmatic AWS: 3 Tips to enhance the AWS SDK with Scala
- James Ward (@_JamesWard) & Ryan Knight give us a solid introduction to Getting Started with Play 2, Scala, and Squeryl
- That wasn’t all from Mohamed Sanaulla (@sanaulla) this week! He also delves into Functions as First Class Citizens in Scala
- Gregg Carrier’s (@GreggCarrier) Scala Next Steps – Structural Types is a must read if you’re unfamiliar with the conpect.
- Memory Imaging works on the premise that persisting to a database is not correct for every application. Event sourcing (key to memory imaging) captures changes to an application state as a sequence of events. Erik Rozendaal (@erikrozendaal) gives us an example in Play2: Simple event sourcing – introduction (part 1)
- A wise man once said ‘A little scalaz is good for the soul’. Update operations on a Scala Case Class is a scalaz solution from Stackoverflow.
- A wise man hasn’t really said that, but I think a wise man should..
- For the Akka lovers other there (and hopefully that’s most of you), letitcrash.com is a goldmine. Check out their latest post: Status Report of Akka Cluster
- I don’t think I ever read a white paper as a student; now I seem to read a few every week. Angelo Corsaro (@acorsaro) has recently published one on High Performance Distributed Computing with DDS and Scala
- The only thing that makes Piotr Gabryanczyk’s Type classes, monads, etc. – functional programming in Scala can be simple! better online that actually experiencing it live, is that now I can enjoy pausing and skipping back to grok the bits that flew past me! Check it out!
- Scala for the Intrigued: Chaining Traits by Venkat Subramaniam (@venkat_s)
- Jan Machacek (@honzam399) explains the Configuration Akka pattern we use in our projects here at Cake!
Have a great weekend and remember you can directly get in touch with me via email or message us on twitter (@AmarettoAndCode) with any Scala news!