Welcome to another week in #Scala. I’m a few hours late in releasing this week’s issue; that code simply doesn’t just write itself. Neither does this blog for that matter.. But that would be cool. Weekend project of writing a Scala news source aggregator and blog creator anyone? Enjoy!
Just in case anyone missed this week’s highlight, Scala 2.10.0 Milestone 4 has just been released!
Hookup A scala based client and server for websockets based on netty and akka futures. It draws its inspiration from finagle, faye-websocket, zeromq, akka, …
scopt 2.1.0 is a little command line options parsing library.
Blogs and Tutorials
- Josh Suereth (@jsuereth) has put together a pleasant looking, informative Introduction to functional programming http://jsuereth.com/intro-to-fp/preso.html#/step-1
- And if that wasn’t enough, Josh has also released a snippet from his new book, Scala in Depth: http://blog.typesafe.com/free-pdf-scala-in-depth
- Rest Driver for Play2.0 by Andy Petrella (@noootsab) http://ska-la.blogspot.be/2012/06/how-monad-transformer-saved-my-time.html
- Understanding Scala’s Type Classes by Brendan W. McAdams (@rit) http://blog.evilmonkeylabs.com/2012/06/11/Understanding_Scala_Type_Classes/
- James Ward (@_JamesWard) talks about how to use the Play 2 Scala Console on Heroku http://www.jamesward.com/2012/06/11/play-2-scala-console-on-heroku
- Why Hadoop Needs Scala (Updated) Age Mooij (@agemooij) https://speakerdeck.com/u/agemooij/p/why-hadoop-need-scala-updated
- Fixing scala.Either – unbiased vs biased by Rob Dickens http://robsscala.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/fixing-scalaeither-unbiased-vs-biased.html
- Our very own Jan Machacek (@honzam399) Composing Akka & Spray application http://www.cakesolutions.net/teamblogs/2012/06/14/composing-akka-spray-application/
- Viktor Klang on Akka, Futures and Promises, Scala http://www.infoq.com/interviews/klang-akka
- Cake Pattern Practices by Vlad Patryshev (@vpatryshev) http://vpatryshev.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/cake-pattern-practices.html
- Why use Scala Alex Payne (@al3x) http://radar.oreilly.com/2012/06/why-use-scala.html
Have a great weekend! Remember you can with reach me via email or message me on twitter (@AmarettoAndCode) with any Scala news you’ve come across or whipped up yourself!