Welcome to another week in #Scala. Once again we’ve got plenty of stuff to use up any free time you thought you had over the weekend!
This is likely to be my last ‘This week in #Scala’ for a while, but fear not – my colleague Ndidi Alaneme (@AmarettoAndCode) will be taking over the main responsibilities. I’ll still be involved to some extent but other commitments have forced me to hand over the reigns for a while.
Anyway, to the news…
Play 1.2.5rc3 released!
SBT 0.11.3. Among other things, scala-tools.org releases repository is no longer included as an application repository by default. For more information click through.
Robot-vision 0.0.2, an embedded unfiltered web server allowing remote control over the host machine similar to RDP and VNC, except control is handled at the http transport layer.
Configrity 0.10.1, a simple, immutable and flexible Scala API for handling configurations.
SBT-buildinfo 0.1.2, a plug-in for sbt to generate Scala source from your build definitions.
ScalesXml 0.3-RC6, an alternate xml library for Scala providing a coherent model, querying and manipulation via an XPath like syntax, better performance, highly customisable equality framework and an Iteratee based pull api.
Scalariform 0.1.2, a source code formatter for Scala.
Blogs and tutorials
- New Eclipse IDE feature: Detecting and Naming Boolean Parameters by Mirko Stocker (@m_st)
- Functors, Monads, Applicatives – different implementations by Dirk Detering (@Developmind)
- Rob Dickens has posted another interesting blog describing how EitherExtras now lets you use Either as an applicative functor: Validating multiple values at once (without Scalaz)
- Scala 2.10.0: Hello $string interpolation! by Konrad Malawski (@ktosopl)
- Great post on Accessing Couchbase from Scala by Michael Nitschinger (@daschl)
- The benefits of functional languages and functional language techniques by Laurie Petrycki (@lauriep)
- Protect a REST service using HMAC (Play 2.0) by Jos Dirksen (@josdirksen)
- A blog about parenthesis in Scala: Y is 6 afraid_of 7 by Radzislaw Galler (@gradzislaw)
- Take a look at this presentation on Fork/Join and Akka: parallelizing the Java platform by Sander Mak (@sander_mak)
- Quality Play 2 Java Tutorial by James Ward (@_JamesWard)
- Scala Basic XML processing by Jason Baldridge (@jasonbaldridge)
- My Take on Haskell vs Scala by Jesper Nordenberg
- Excellent presentation by Guillaume Bort and Sadek Drobi: Play!: I’ll See Your Async and Raise You Reactive
- Play 2 – modules, plugins, what’s the difference? by Steve Chaloner (@steve_objectify)
- Web development frameworks – Part 2 : Play Framework 2.0 by Ricardo Zuasti (@rzuasti)
- Starter for 10 – Scala, Play 2 and Mongo by James Hughes (@kouphax)
- Miles Sabin (@milessabin) has posted the second part of his First-class polymorphic function values in shapeless series: Natural Transformations in Scala
- Research report from @OvumICT suggests Scala is the future of Java: Typesafe roadmap indicates the maturing of Scala
- Troubleshooting Play Framework 2 apps on Openshift by Sebastian Scarano
- SIP-18 is just another bad idea serving nobody by Tony Morris
- Jan Machacek (@honzam399) has blogged about using Web socket push notifications in Akka, Netty and Socko