Welcome to another week in #Scala! Things have been insanely busy this week, so this is possibly the biggest blog yet. The major talking point this week is the official release of the Typesafe Stack 2.0, including the impressive Typesafe Console – well worth looking at.
Typesafe Stack 2.0! The new Typesafe stack includes Akka 2.0, Play! 2.0 and the impressive Typesafe Console, be sure to read the various blogs on the typesafe console. There’s also a whitepaper detailing this new version of the stack and an interview with Martin Odersky (@odersky) on this and the Future of Scala.
Spray 0.9.0. Spray is a suite of lightweight Scala libraries for building and consuming RESTful web services on top of Akka.
Kiama 1.2.0, a Scala library for language processing including attribute grammars, term rewriting, abstract state machines and pretty printing.
New Scala SIP – Self-cleaning macros.
sbt-lwm 0.3. This SBT 0.10.x plugin converts lightweight markup documents to HTML.
sbt-izpack 0.3. This plugin allows you to use IzPack (a tool for creating Java based installers) directly from your SBT 0.10.x project.
sbt-editsource 0.6.2, an SBT 0.10.x plugin that provides on-the-fly, line-oriented editing of source files.
Zero-log, fast logging with simple configuration for Scala – well worth a look!
Scalatra 2.0.4. Scalatra is a tiny, Sinatra-like web framework for Scala.
Grizzled-scala 1.0.12. The Grizzled Scala Library contains a variety of miscellaneous utility classes and objects.
Argot 0.3.6, a command-line parser library for Scala.
AVSL 0.3.7. AVSL is a very simple logger, written in Scala. AVSL implements the Simple Logging Facade for Java (SLF4J) API, allowing applications to be written to the SLF4J API, for portability. It uses a simple, non-XML configuration file.
Markwrap 0.5.2, a Scala library that provides a unified API for using various underlying lightweight markup APIs.
Classutil 0.4.4. The org.clapper.classutil (ClassUtil) library is a Scala package that provides various class location and class generation capabilities.
Grizzled-slf4j 0.6.7. The Grizzled SLF4J package provides a very thin Scala-friendly layer on top of the SLF4J (Simple Logging Facade for Java) API.
Scalasti 0.5.7. The Scalasti library is a Scala interface to the StringTemplate Java template library. It provides most of the features of StringTemplate, plus a few capabilities not found in StringTemplate, using a more Scala-friendly syntax.
Spray-json 1.1.1. Spray-json is a lightweight, clean and efficient JSON implementation in Scala.
Twirl 0.5.2, the Play Framework Scala template engine, repackaged for stand-alone use.
Blogs and tutorials
- Typesafe blog: Introducing Play 2.0
- Another must read Typesafe blog: Introducing Typesafe Console
- Typesafe Console: behind the scenes by ‘Mr Speaker’
- Martin Odersky (@odersky) on the Typesafe Stack and the Future of Scala
- Eric Torreborre (@etorreborre) has posted the slides for his presentation: The Essence of the Iterator Pattern
- The final edition of Composable Futures with Akka 2.0 by Michael Slinn (@mslinn) is now available. Mike is also planning to give a presentation on the subject in San Francisco next month.
- Brendan McAdams (@rit) has posted the slides for his talk on Asynchronous and Non-Blocking Scala For Fun & Profit from #nescala
- When to use TypedActors in Akka 2.0 from the Akka team blog
- Why I’m Moving Away from the Play Framework by Camille Fournier (@skamille)
- Experiences with Scala and Liftweb by Stephan Schmidt (@codemonkeyism)
- OpenCredo Launches the WebTrader Insurance Product written in Scala and Lift
- Seth Tisue (@SethTisue) has also posted his #nescala slides on the typeclass pattern, an alternative to inheritance
- Adding `squared` to #scala numbers with implicits and typeclasses by Derek Wyatt (@derekwyatt)
- 30 minutes to make a multi user real time paint with Play 2 framework, Canvas and WebSocket by Gaëtan Renaudeau (@greweb). This is well worth a look!
- Great presentation on Polyglot Programming with Python: Python/Scala Interop by Andrea O. K. Wright
- Akka 2.0 Toolkit and Runtime Released For Scala Or Java by Adrian Bridgwater (@ABridgwater)
- Slides from Rúnar Óli Bjarnason’s (@runarorama) #nescala presentation on Dead-Simple Dependency Injection are now available
- The Scala IDE Play! 2.0 guide has been updated
- The slides from GrahamTackley’s (@tackers) Scala: simplifying development at guardian.co.uk presentation are now available
- Akka: Reloaded Presentation, Josh Suereth (@jsuereth) presents the new features available in Akka 2.0: clustered actors, including stateless and stateful ones, replication and the Cluster API
- Scala Creator’s Company Goes for Scale with Scala/Java Dev Platform Update by John K. Waters (@johnkwaters)
- Andy Petrella (@noootsab) talks about the Gatling-Tool Plugin for Play 2.0
- Intercepting Apache Nutch Crawl Flow with a Scala Plugin by Vikas Hazrati (@vhazrati) of @Knolspeak
- Scala Macros: “Oh God Why?” by Jay Kreps (@jaykreps), and a reply by Martin Odersky (@odersky)
- Check out these awesome ‘Typeclassopedia’ slides by John Kodumal (@jkodumal)
As usual feel free to drop me a mail or message @markglh on twitter with any Scala news!