Welcome to another this week in #Scala, Christmas edition It looks like everyones been pretty busy this past week as there have been loads of blogs and releases, so lets get cracking:
sbt-protobuf v0.2.2 has been released. sbt-protobuf is a plugin for sbt that transforms *.proto files into gazillion-loc java files
sbteclipse 2.0.0-M1. sbteclipse is an sbt plugin for creating Eclipse project definitions. Version 2.0.0 is a complete rewrite of the 1.x branch.
sbt-cloudbees-plugin 0.4.0. This plugin for SBT lets you deploy apps to the CloudBees RUN@Cloud PaaS. Version 4.0 has been a major rewrite to make use of the more idiomatic task functionaltiy within SBT 0.10+.
Scala Micro-Benchmarking Template, a scala wrapper for Google’s caliper by Daniel Capo Sobral (@dcsobral).
Scala IDE for Eclipse 2.0 Final Release available now! This huge update includes a new website, screencasts and documentation – along with countless improvements and new features.
Blogs and tutorials
- Great blog by Rúnar (@runarorama) - Towards an Effect System in Scala, Part 2: IO Monad.
- Audio interview with Typesafe founder Martin Odersky (@odersky) by Mike Riley of @dr_dobbs.
- Parleys Devoxx 11 channel has been updated with the latest presentations.
- Implementing the Cake Pattern step by step from the perspective on someone new to Scala, by yours truly.
- Video by the lead designer of Scala, Martin Odersky (@odersky) talking about What’s Next for Scala
- Functional IO in Scala with Scalaz by Jordan West (@_jrwest) of Stackmob
- Finally, in keeping with the Christmas spirit… a Scala program which animates an ASCII art Christmas tree, enjoy!
This is the last blog from me until the new year, so I’ll wish everyone a happy Christmas and new year from me and everyone here at Cake Solutions!
As usual feel free to drop me a mail or message @markglh on twitter with any Scala news!