Welcome to another week in #Scala! It’s been a busy week here at Cake, we’ve been filming some promo videos for the website, keep an eye out for those!
Once again I’ve decided to split the post into two sections, new stuff and blogs:
IntelliJ IDEA can now generate Scaladoc html documentation for the entire project or custom scope, click here for more details.
Project Kepler is an effort to bring compile-time metaprogramming to scala in the form of macro defs and macro types, check out the link for a detailed description of what they have planned!
Scala IDE for Eclipse has been updated to 2.0 RC1 with plenty of changes:
- Updated the Classpath Validator to play nice with Maven project.
- TODO comments are now correctly displayed in the Eclipse Task section.
- Fixed an important source of instability affecting Windows Eclipse users (causing the following exception to be reported: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Path for project must have only one segment.).
- Improved the Run Selection Interpreter (a project picker is now displayed when no project is selected).
- The JDK selected in the project’s classpath is now honored.
- Resource files are copied to the output directory.
- Braces and parenthesis are now automatically matched in the editor.
- Better support for dependent projects in the presentation compiler, leading to less spurious errors.
- Completion support for inherited trait members in Java sources.
Spray 0.8.0 RC3 has been released.For those unaware , spray is a lightweight Scala framework for building RESTful web services on top of Akka. It sports the following main features:
- Completely asynchronous, non-blocking, actor-based request processing for efficiently handling very high numbers of concurrent connections
- Powerful, flexible and extensible internal Scala DSL for declaratively defining your web service behavior
- Immutable model of the HTTP protocol, decoupled from the underlying web server / servlet container
- Full testability of your REST services, without the need to fire up containers or actors
Version 0.1.5 Scala Primavera has been released, adding DSLjdbcTemplate – a template that exposes a clean fluent interface to make JDBC Operations.
Finally I’d like to point out the improved SBT website
Blogs and tutorials
- Peter Pilgrim (@peter_pilgrim) posted this tutorial on setting up Intellij IDEA 10.5 with Scala Build Tool (SBT) for use with ScalaFX.
- Jan (@honzam399) posted this blog on using AspectJ with Scala.
- Stackmob posted this blog on why they use Scalaz
Feel free to drop me a mail or message @cakesolutions or @markglh on twitter with any Scala news!